Going through NLI b..o..o..t..c..a..m..p lab 2, I'm finding myself a bit
confused about the applicability of the neighbor next-hop-self and next-hop
command.

Let me summarize my "beliefs", recognizing that real world has a different
set of problems, where these lab thoughts do not apply.

1) eBGP neighbors always advertise themselves as the "next hop" for any
routes sent.

2) iBGP neighbors retain the original advertiser's address as the next hop.

3) the issue with next-hop information is whether or not that next hop ( the
eBGP neighbor address ) is reachable to any iBGP neighbor.

The classic example being on the hub and spoke frame relay, where the
appropriate dlci mappings have not occurred, so the spokes have no way to
reach eachother if the next hop is the other spoke.

That being the case, the hub router should always make itself the next-hop
by generating the "next-hop-self" command.

However, if the spokes know eachother because of proper dlci mapping, static
routes, whatever, then next-hop self is irrelevant.

Pretty much it?

Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a CCIE out of my hat!

Rocky: Bullwinkle, that trick NEVER works....

Bullwinkle: This time FOR SURE!!!!!!!