I would think that the uBR is about the cheapest entry you could get (you
can pick them up off ebay for about £60).  The uBR has 2 "phone" ports each,
but my understanding is that one of these would normally connect to a
standard PSTN port, that way if you have an IP outage you will still have a
"backup" outside line using the normal PSTN.  This would leave one port
availble for you to plug in any standard analogue phone.  You can then do
you POTS to IP mapping and make it so that this phone would dial you
oversea's router.

I don't see how this setup would allow for multiple lines though, unless you
start making use of IP phones, and then you would required Call manager or
if into the opensource, something like vovida.

Quality etc is comparable, but as always, reliant on QoS, and how reliable
your choosen ISP is.  uBR's will only work with Cable, not ADSL.    You can
get ADSL based routers with FX ports though, which would serve the same
purpose!

Cheers