I can't seem to find the original message with the other questions,
but let me comment on the discontiguous area 0.0.0.0 problem.
There's an "inside the box" solution using OSPF facilities, and what
may be a more general "outside the box" solution.

Using a virtual link assumes that the discontiguous parts of area
0.0.0.0 can at least reach a common router in a nonzero area.  More
often than not, this will involve two routers.

But what if area 0.0.0.0 is discontiguous because the path between
backbone routers has to go through a non-OSPF routing domain, and
there's no common non-backbone area through which you can route a
virtual link?

I've fixed this problem (e.g., two parts of OSPF area 0.0.0.0
separated by EIGRP) with a tunnel through the non-OSPF backbone, the
subnet associated with the tunnel being made part of area 0.0.0.0.
It happened that I used GRE, but other tunneling protocols should
work.