Priscilla,
The only reason I remember the old syntax is because I am basically lazy
when it comes to typing!
(I am also not very good at it). :-(
So, if I can type wr  instead of copy run start  I will! ;-)

In truth, all of the old "write x"  syntax was supposed to wind up in the
"undocumented commands" bucket in the IOS way back when I was teaching
IMCR! (We won't discuss how long ago that was)! :-[
Non-intuitive huh? That is being kind! I try not to lapse into old syntax
in front of folks that are new to the  IOS CLI. There are enough commands
to try to remember without that! But just when you think you are safe,
you run into a machine that won't take "copy run start"! :-D

Sometimes being old enough to have forgotten the Hill you are supposed to
be over is cool!
Bruce

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

  Bruce Enders wrote:

    What kind of output do you get after  the write mem or copy run
    start

  Wasn't Cisco supposed to depricate "write mem?" I never learned those forms
  of the commands because when I first started learning Cisco eight years
ago,
  Cisco said not to bother learning them because they were going away!

  Then yesterday I discovered that my new PIX firewall wouldn't take "copy
run
  start?" Or was I making a typo or something? I had to reach into the back
of
  my mind and come up with "write mem" which I thought they were going to get
  rid of. And I approved of that plan since it's totally non-intuitive. :-)

  Speaking of non-intuitive, why DO we put up with the PIX? What a beast. It
  took me all day to get it to do some simple forwarding. The thing is
  expensive, slow, and almost impossible to configure. Why do we put up with
  it? :-) Not being able to do "copy run start" took the cake.

  Rantings from a frustrated Cisco fan.

  Priscilla

    commands? Anything?
    Also, after you save the config, do a show start to see if the
    changes
    have in fact been written to NVRAM. (I suspect the problem is
    with NVRAM,
    although I personally have never encountered a write-protected
    NVRAM on a
    Cisco router before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen! And
    your
    symptoms certainly sound like that is the case)!
    Since the existing configuration is still there when you
    reboot, I doubt
    the problem is with the config-register.
    I will be interested in what you find,
    Bruce

    MADMAN wrote:

      That's a good one!  After saving the config do you see the
    changes
      when you do a write term?  What is the platform and the IOS?

         Dave

      Hitesh Arora wrote:

        Dear All,

        I need some expert comments from this group for my problem.
    The router is

      in

        working condition and 3 links are working fine on this
    router. Now I need

        do some changes in the router configuration. After changing
    and saving the
        configuration, I gave a reboot to the router. But I find,
    that router is
        back to the previuos old configuration. Why so??

        I have checked that the config-register setting is set to
    0x2102. Sh

      Version

        command also shows me the config-register is set to 0x2102.
    I have applied
        the config-register 0x2102 command also to be doubly sure
    that the router

      is

        picking config from the same register.

        Pls. help

        Thanks
        Hitesh

        Got a wish? Make it come true.
http://server1.msn.co.in/msnleads/citibankpersonalloan/index.asp         Best
        personal loans!

    --
    Bruce Enders
    Chesapeake Netcraftsmen, LLC   Cell 443-994-0678