Okay - I have some clues - it looks as though UK phones
work differently to those of other parts of the world.
I'd be very interested in feedback from anyone else
on this. Broadly I think it IS down to wiring.

Port 0 on a 2FXS card is configured such that if an
RJ11 is connected in with current on pins 2&5, it
assumes that a two-line phone (which is common I
gather in the US) is connected and disables port 1.

UK phones normally use ports 2&5 for their tip and
ring signals, using 3 to carry the ring current and
4 for earth.  If 3&4 are the wrong way about the
phone will ring continually - this is all theory I'm
afraid until I check tomorrow, but I'm using normal
adapters so I'd hope not to have to chop them up.

Any comments?

Many thanks
Danny