If he wants more ports in Cisco gear I believe that he will have to go with
octopus cables. Think NM-async modules for 2600/3600 series. I know 32 port
modules exist.
Several years ago I bought a 10' octal cable from Robert Lowery
[EMAIL PROTECTED] The extra length might help. I don't know if Bob is
still selling cables - he also sold back-to-back serial cables.
About a month ago there was a post on this list about a Livingston
Portmaster being used as a terminal server. Apparently very reasonable on
eBay. Think 30 ports. The one I've seen had DB-25 connections.