""Jason Viera""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Can't figure this one out. I am mutually redistributing eigrp into ospf
> (dual redistribution points) and vice versa, I also have a separate
> redistribution point in the eigrp domain which introduces external (AD170)
> routes into the Eigrp domain, upon redistribution into OSPF these
(external
> eigrp) routes are given an AD of 110, creating suboptimal routing. The
only
> solution I could devise was based on modifying the distance of the
external
> routes in the eigrp domain. What would be the best approach to tackle the
> problem,  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
> Thanks Jason

A couple of things come to mind.

Distribute-lists

assuming your routing domains exhibet any kind of rational organization, you
could filterthose routes wihich are re-entering and being trashed by the
lower OSPF admin distance.

Prefix-lists

also assuming there is some rhyme and reason to the domain organizations.
I've gotten to where I like prefix-lists better than distribute-lists. As
with anything networking, their usefulness depends on a lot of things.

Route-maps

similar to distribute-lists
can use an access-list or a prefix-list as the seed

Route tags ( used with route-maps )

gets a little trickier. your access-lists have to be right on. assign a tag
value to routes coming in from one domain into the other, then filter those
at the other redistribution point.

come to think of it, you may be able to tag the routes coming into either
domain using the redistribute command switch. (checks CCO) yeah, looks like
it.

You could also filter from EIGRP into OSPF by filtering EIGRP external
routes - this would block routes that originated with OSPF from gong back
into the domain. Not that it matters a lot because of the admin distance.

A better way would be to filter OSPF external routes from entering the EIGRP
domain. This can cause havoc if you have an ABSR somewhere and need those
externals to get to EIGRP.

gets complex fast, doen't it :->

depending upon the level of expertise for which you are sudying, you may
want to have all of these tools as part of your bag of tricks. never can
tell when they might be useful.

HTH

Chuck