ericbrouwers wrote:

> Brian,
>
> This is a copy from IOS Interface Configuration Guide,
> Specifying an
> Ethernet Encapsulation Method:
>
> Currently, there are three common Ethernet encapsulation

There are four encapsulations if you count novell-ether.

> methods:
> - The standard Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA)

Isn't that awful that they make it sound like Ethernet is a standard that
came from ARPA, which it certainly did not. Ethernet Version 2.0 (and 1.0,
for that matter) came from DEC, Intel, and Xerox. In this case, I would not
have even spelled out ARPA since it's not relevant, but I'm sure the editor
would have insisted on spelling it out.

> Ethernet Version 2.0
> encapsulation, which uses a 16-bit protocol type code (the
> default
> encapsulation method).

Ethernet Version 2.0 is the default for IP (and maybe older versions of
DECnet?) Nothing else.

> - Service access point (SAP) IEEE 802.3 encapsulation, in which
> the type
> code becomes the frame length for the IEEE 802.2 LLC
> encapsulation
> (destination and source Service Access Points, and a control
> byte).

The length field is the length of the entire packet. That sentence certainly
needs editing since they make it sound like it's the length of the LLC
header that follows.

> - The SNAP method, as specified in RFC 1042, Standard for the
> Transmission
> of IP Datagrams Over IEEE 802 Networks, which allows Ethernet
> protocols to
> run on IEEE 802.2 media.

There's no such thing as 802.2 media. 802.2 is a protocol.

> The encapsulation method that you use depends upon the routing
> protocol that
> you are using, the type of Ethernet media connected to the
> router or access
> server, and the routing or bridging application that you
> configure.

The encapsulation method depends on the protocol being carried by the
Ethernet frame. It certainly doesn't depend on the media.

A router has three fundamental jobs: forwarding, routing, and management.
For forwarding, the encapsulation depends on the type of protocol being
forwarded.

With regards to management, CDP, STP (if it's bridging), etc. use their
defined encapsulations (defined by industry standards and by IOS code, and
not changeable).

For routing protocols, it depends on the routing protocol, I guess, though
that's missing the main point that it depends on the protocol being carried
mostly. RTMP uses snap. That's because it's an AppleTalk routing protocol.
OSPF, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP use Ethernet II. That's because they are IP.

IS-IS, is a weird one. It uses 802.3 and 802.2 (so awfully named by Cisco as
sap.)

> To establish Ethernet encapsulation of IP packets, use one of
> the following
> commands in interface configuration mode:

The document says that you can change the encapsulation for IP packets? You
can't do that on my routers! There's no need to do it anyway. There is
essentially no modern operating system that doesn't use Ethernet II for IP.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else is able to change the Ethernet
encapsulation for IP packets on their routers.

Thanks,

Priscilla