As you've reminded me many times, Annlee, one really needs a security
policy and a threat assessment before going into the details of the
security architecture solution. SAFE doesn't give much guidance on
policy formulation.

I'm concerned with the goal statement of the original poster, "Want
to go for network security, e.g., protect against virus attack," when
virus attack isn't even a network security issue -- it's a host
issue. Arguably, worm, as opposed to virus attacks, are both host and
network, because they can affect bandwidth.