On router A, I have two equal cost paths, via neighbor B and neighbor C, to
a particular EXternal destination.

To begin with, I see both routes in the EIGRP topology table and also in
theIP routing table. I played around with the 'delay' of the connecting
links to ensure that router A sees the routes as equally feasible i.e.
router A's feasible distance to the destination via both B and C is the same.

So far so good.

In order to prefer the path to the EXternal destination via router B, I
decided to INCREASE the admin distance of the route being advertized by
router C.  Thinking that the route advertized via B would have a lower admin
distance and would be prefered.

I added the following configuration statements on router A....

Under EIGRP
distance 175 172.16.50.1 0.0.0.0  10

Globally
access-list 10 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

The advertizing interface of router C has an IP of 172.16.50.1/30

The EXternal route I am trying to play with is 192.168.1.0/24.

Results:

No change to the admin distance of the EXternal routes :((

If the route that I am trying to modify the admin distance of is
INTERNAL,this concept works fine!

Is there something special that needs to be taken care to modify the admin
distance of EXternal EIGRP routes?