A lot of list newbies probably don't realize that many list old-timers read
the messages via e-mail. The messages arrive as they are sent or posted.
They are essentially sorted by time rather than topic. They are not grouped
by subject in any way. They use a synchronous, connectionless, stateless,
delivery mechanism. :-)

John is right. A message that arrives this way without any context is
terribly annoying and pretty much useless. The reader wants to know what
it's talking about but can't easily tell without going through a bunch of
old messages which are sorted by time, if they were kept at all.

Many of us use the Web to post our messages. If you are on the Web right
now, take a look at the text-input box below this message. Beside that
tempting outlined Post button, see the Quote button? Press that first. It
puts the original message into the text box. Only delete it or parts of it
if it's gotten really long-winded or you said something embarassing a few
messages back that you don't want people to see again! ;-)

Seriously, leave the message intact and reply to it, in context.

Most e-mail programs also have a way of saying that you should quote the
original message when you reply. Please enable this. And, as discussed
above, if you post with the Web, please realize that we need you to emulate
that e-mail function of quoting. Use your Quote button.

Thank-you.

Priscilla