At 11:43 AM 6/26/2003 -0500, Mark Smith wrote:
>I never tried using sub's on the the LAN interface. I could have used VLAN's
>at the time I initially set it up but didn't see a need for it at the time
>(still don't unless it's the officiallly Cisco-blessed method and then I'd
>just be curious as to why). I just set up a secondary and then later on I
>got to wondering if I was "doin' the right thing".
>
>It ain't broke. Guess I don't need to fix it.

That's always a good guidance :), however I might have misunderstood the
original question (I thought you were asking about subinterfaces without
vlans). If you are interested in the advantage of using vlans over
secondary IP addresses, then there are some. For example, vlans decrease
the broadcast domain, ie. hosts on one VLAN won't drive hosts on other
VLANs crazy by sending lots of broadcast packets. I also seem to remember
that some routing protocols (OSPF or ISIS?) used to have some issues with
secondary IP addresses. Unfortunately I don't recall the specifics.

Thanks,

Zsombor