wrote in message...
> Having a problem with 12 ports on one of our 6509's.. They are unable to
> pass traffic, and I get the following errors on the console.
>
> 2003 Jun 26 10:55:57 %SYS-3-SYS_LCPERR3:Module 6: Coil Pb Tx Underflow
> Error - Port #2:

I'm surpised at all the poor responses to this posting.

This is the Pinnacle COIL ASIC bug... very well-known on the Cat6k platform.
It affects 12 ports at a time ... (on yours it is ports 1-12), because the
Pinnacle
ASIC services 12 ports grouped together.

It only affects the WS-X6248-RJ-45 and WS-X6348-RJ-45 modules.
The bug is not a hardware-only bug, there are actually two versions of the
bug,
one is hardware and the other is software.

If you are running code < CatOS 6.x, then it is more likely the software
bug.

In both cases, you should be able to power off and power on the module to
make the error go away (no need to RMA).  I have found this to be true about
36 out of the 40 times I've done this.  Only in a few cases was it
hardware-related.
Reseating the module is the second mostly likely thing to fix the module.
However,
a soft "reset" does not seem to make the condition disappear.

Open a Cisco case and then try the following:
set module power down 6
set module power up 6

Also, you shouldn't rely on mailing-lists for this type of information, the
Cisco TAC
is the best place for Cisco bug resolution...

-dre