Hi,

the output 'sh proc cpu | exc 0.00%  0.00%  0.00%' in both the 99% and
"normal" usually helps a lot. :)

Calculate the difference for every process and find those that are
significantly higher in the first case than in the second. If the
differences don't add up to the difference of the totals (e.g. if you find
that pretty much every process consumes the same amount of CPU in both the
99% and the normal case), then that means that the spike is caused by
extensive interrupt activities, in other words packet switching. If this is
the case, then you will have to go on a hunt to find the source of the
packets that cause this spike. If the spikes come as regular as you seem to
imply (once every hour?), then finding the pattern as to when they come
might give a hint about their source. If you don't have any management
tools that do this for you, then I would suggest to write a script that
periodically polls CPU usage and stores the information with a time-stamp.

Btw, what is your "normal" CPU usage? And how did you figure out that
sometimes it's 99%?

"Per-Second Jobs" is a generic timer process that wakes up every second and
takes care of things that must be done every second. "IP Input" is the
process handling the IP packets that are process switched. If you are
running CEF, then this practically means the packets that are destined to
the router itself (e.g. BGP). You might want to monitor the memory usage of
these processes, and open a case with TAC if it is monotonically increasing
(because that probably means that there is a memory leak). Although I am
not quite sure how memory usage is related to CPU spikes.

Thanks,

Zsombor