As an author (with the same publisher, and more or less the same experience,
I'm afraid), I must comment. A publishing contract is almost as one-sided as
buying a house -- once you agree, you are stuck with a long-term
proposition. Knowing that, it's still hard to make an intelligent choice
unless one is a very prolific writer, because (also like buying a house),
it's not something you do often.

A typical contract may leave you with the copyright (not all do, BTW), but
what you can actually do with that copyright may be quite limited. You
probably will not, for instance, be able to separately publish an electronic
version of the same book. You will not be able to arrange a print-on-demand
version with Kinko's or other locally-convenient printers. You may be
required to give the publisher the right of first refusal on your next book
(they've turned down the one I wanted to do a year ago, which is good -- I
have a better idea, now, and I will present it and publish my way, and the
only one I'll have to praise or blame is me).

Setting up a link on your ownwebsite may be the most you can do to
facilitate book sales in this environment.

Annlee

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]