Hi

Some how I was thinking VLAN tagging was something more than just "Trunking"
in Cisco talk,as you can guess I'm pretty rusty when it comes to switching.I
have another question.Look at the example below.

                                          REMOTE SITE
MAIN SITE

    PC's-----CISCO 3550--------CISCO 2600~~~~~~CISCO 3600--------ALCATEL L3
SWITCH..............PIX...INTERNET ROUTER---INTERNET.
   (VLAN3)           (802.1q TRUNK)           (256K LINK)            (802.1q
TRUNK)                                    (VLAN3)

A client wants to allow a group of PC's on a remote site, access to the
internet via the main site's ISP.But wants these group of Pc's on their own
VLAN so they have no connection to the rest of the network (except for the
internet router which the whole network uses to access the internet) they
have been advised by a third party to do it  as above.They have a Cisco
3550EMI switch at the remote site & a Alcatel Omnicore L3 switch at the Main
site.The WAN link is a 256k lease line.They want to configure the PC's on
the remote site with the same VLAN as a dedicated PIX on the Main site (also
on the same subnet).

The Cat 3550 is not using it's L3 capabilities and is trunked to the remote
site's router

Can this  be done ?????????

I'm sure thinking of the basic laws of routing it won't be possible to have
devices being on the same subnet but across different WAN links, as routing
loops can occur.Also would it be best to enable the layer 3 capabilities of
the switches, or to let the routers do the work.

I'm looking forward to your answers

Thanks in advance

Simon.