From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Friday, July 11, 2003 9:47 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        OT: electrical issues with switches [7:72151]

This is completely off topic and, in my case, of an operational nature, so
I need to apologize in advance. Unless there is some expressed interest
please respond to me privately if you would, thanks.

We have suffered over the last couple of years what I would consider an
unusually high number of blade failures in various switches (from several
vendors including Extreme and Cisco). They have the earmarks of an
electrical problem, that is, supplied current spiking and valleying. For
instance, where I am located - Northern Virginia - we had some major storms
move through last night. This morning I had two blade failures in two
separate closets. These closets all have UPS units (usually more than one)
and the switches, all of which have dual power supplies, and are split with
one power supply going to one UPS, the other to another UPS. Granted both
are in the same room and usually plugged into the same circuit.  Seemingly
this would eliminate, or at least mitigate, the bulk of any electrical
fluctuations in the closets. The UPS's have been tested with various
diagnostic tools and they appear to check out fine.

My question is this. The failures seem to occur more often on densely
populated blades (isn't that always the case?). Many people in the building
leave their PC's on at night. When the power goes out in this building, the
PCs in most areas will also power down. When power is restored, even if it
just flickers, all these machines will boot at the same time. Is there any
chance that this surge - if there is one - of current coming from the
rebooted PC NIC cards could cause these issues? Or is there even a current
that flows back from the NIC's (it would seem logical, but I am not an EE).
I do realize that I may be grasping at straws.

Any thoughts, and again I apologize for the off topic content. There are
many bright folks in this group so I thought I would ask.