At 8:02 PM +0000 7/13/03, annlee wrote:
>N+1 means one more than that required. Suppose you have a large switch which
>can operate half the blade capacity with one power supply and it requires 2
>power supplies to operate fully populated. Then, when it is half-populated,
>dual power supplies provides N+1, because it has one more than the
>requirement. When fully populated, it has N+1 if it has 3 power supplies in
>place and available.
>
>This is the kind of HA requirement typically demanded by telcos and others
>for whom off-line is simply not an option.
>
>HTH
>
>Annlee

Indeed, there are HA techniques, more applicable to communications
channels, that may offer more or less resources than N+1.  I have
seen nuclear war command and control systems that would send out a
launch message on up to 23 different media.

1+1 actively transmits the same data on two links, usually accepting the
     first copy that has a correct error check sequence and discarding the
     other.  Probably the most common application is SSCOP, the data link
     protocol for SS7 and Q.2931.

1:1 only one active link, but a dedicated standby link (think FDDI)

M:N N backups for M active resources.