MTU is not an OSPF specific value. It would be rather strange if OSPF could
adjust it dynamically to its liking.

>"However, a vendor could choose to implement
>something that, after getting no response to DD packets, would decrease the
>packet size,

How do you know you don't receive response due to packet size?

>  even sending a really tiny DD packet to continue negotiations
>and receive DD from the other router, learning its MTU, then adjusting to
>that.  I *think* that would work."

Sorry, which problem are you trying to solve here? If the MTUs are
different on the two routers, then OSPF won't work as per the RFC. So the
solution to the MTU mismatch problem IMHO is to make sure that the MTUs
match. :) That (ie. that a router doesn't send a packet larger than what
its neighbor can digest) sounds like a pretty basic requirement to me.

Thanks,

Zsombor