Paul wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick question, I have enabled SPAN to mirror from one port to
> another.
> However, when doing so the transmitting port appears detached
> form the
> network. i.e.. I cannot ping from the PC attached to that port
> and nothing on
> the network can ping it too. When I remove the port from the
> session I get
> connectivity again. Could anyone give me any ideas on why this
> is occurring
> please.

If I understand what you're saying, that's normal.

SPAN sends traffic to and from one or more "source ports" to a "destination
port." A protocol analyzer resides at the destination port. The source ports
are the monitored ports whose traffic you want to analyze.

I'm not sure what you mean by "transmitting port." Cisco doesn't use that
term becauses it's too unclear which port it refers to.

Now that we have the terminology straight :-), it's normal for traffic to be
disrupted to and from the destination port where the analyzer resides. Per
the config guide for the 4000, "Once an interface becomes an active
destination interface, incoming traffic is disabled. You cannot configure a
SPAN destination interface to receive ingress traffic. The interface does
not forward any traffic except that required for the SPAN session. "

It is not normal for the traffic to be disrupted for the source port. If
that's what you're saying, then you better tell us more about the config and
the output from show monitor session. I'm guessing that's not what you meant
though...

Priscilla