1) Labs available on the Internet. See archives for lists.
2) Form a group of folks in your area. Each person buys one box and the
group builds a lab.
3) If the company where you work has many production routers, there is a
chance there are older boxes or spares hidden away - sometimes at multiple
locations. Tell them it is necessary to create a "Network Prototype Lab" so
that configs are tested before being put in production. You may have to pay
for some back-to-back serial cables to make it work. I have a rack of 2514s
and 2501s at work that I "found" using this method.
4) If you are unemployed consider a job with a company that sells used
Cisco. Several years ago NeilR worked for Optimum Data in Omaha. His
employer would allow him to play with the gear and even make it available to
GroupStudy via the Internet. He'd build "Kitty Labs" with 5505s and 7206s
and etc.
5) Schools might have network gear and need someone to maintain it. Private
schools always need volunteers. Note that a few days ago a GroupStudy member
noted that she had a lab at the school where she worked - but it was
unavailable to her during summer break. Time for a terminal server!