From: Howard C. Berkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 7:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT - Ethernet Fire Alarm [7:72749]

This is an area where your local building inspectors and your
insurers aren't going to let you be creative. While local codes can
override, in general, you are going to have to comply with the rules
of the National Electrical Code and the National Fire Protection
Association. In turn, they generally specify that fire detection
systems must be certified by independent testing laboratories, such
as Underwriters Laboratories in the US.  There are specifications for
alarm wiring, although some fire detectors operate through power
lines.

On a practical basis, during a lecture on integrated voice and data,
I sometimes take a student team design, put a birthday candle on the
Call Manager or PBX, and innocently ask, "the Call Manager is on
fire. Would someone please call 911?"  Let's put it this way -- I
don't consider it a safe voice design unless there is some
independent way to place emergency calls -- perhaps cellular or POTS
phones behind breakable glass at fire exits.  You'll find that most
hospitals have at least one phone line in nursing units, the ER,
etc., that do not go through the PBX or equivalent.

Now, use sensors as a supplemental system? Sure, but I'd look at them
as a supplement.  In a specialized environment (e.g., manufacturing),
where there might be threats that standard detectors don't detect, it
makes perfect sense to use them as an adjunct. Even there, however,
you want to keep life-critical equipment on separate or massively
fault tolerant facilities.  Fly-by-wire flight control systems on
commercial aircraft are at least triply redundant, and may be more so
on combat aircraft expected to suffer battle damage.