Tim Champion wrote:

> Could someone please confirm the following to be true (taken
> from CCO):
>
> "Per-destination load balancing allows the router to distribute
> packets
> based on the destination address, and uses multiple paths to
> achieve load
> sharing. Packets for a given source-destination host pair are
> guaranteed to
> take the same path, even if multiple paths are available. For
> example, given
> two paths to the same network, all packets for destination1 on
> that network
> go over the first path, all packets for destination2 on that
> network go over
> the second path, and so on. Per-destination load balancing is
> enabled by
> default when you start the router, and is the preferred load
> balancing for
> most situations."
>
> It was my understanding that per-destination load balancing was
> based on the
> destination address only and not on the source/destination pair.
>
> If someone could clarify it would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Tim

This probably depends on the switching mechanism in place. Fast switching,
as I recall, simply caches the outgoing interface for any given destination
so it's relying on the destination information only. CEF uses both the
source and destination. Multiple sources trying to reach the same
destination might not use the same outgoing interface.

John