Don't forget UDP port 500 for ISAKMP!

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 31 July 2003 18:32
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: VPN Ports [7:73290]

Steven Aiello wrote:

> Ok,
>
>    I haven't gotten much of a bit on my access list question.
> But no
> worries I have a book and I'm going to try it my self.  However
> can any
> on give me a list run down of the ports needed for a VPN?

I didn't see your first message so I don't know what you're trying to
accomplish, so if this message is a non sequitor, I apoligize...

> exp
>
> IPSec portx tcp

IPSec doesn't use TCP ports. It uses IP protocol numbers. There are two
types: The Authentication Header (AH) and Encapsulating Security Payload
(ESP).

AH uses IP protocol number 51
ESP uses IP protocol number 50

> Lt\2TP porty tcp

You can run L2TP over UDP, in which case UDP port number 1701 is used. See
RFC 2661 for more info.

Talk to you later,

Priscilla

> I would greatly apprecate the help
>
> I am very new to the VPN side and I want to be sure I don't
> over look
> any thing
>
> Steven
                Sirocom Virus Scanning Service