Typically, on a home or small business LAN, the firewall
reconizes a network as internal (trusted) or Internet (damned
dangerous), and has default port settings based on that.
ZoneAlarm is a popular software firewall, and automagically
detects networks based on TCP/IP settings. If you designate that
you trust the network, the default is to leave the Windows
networking ports open (that can be changed, of course).
The Internet, however, is by default never trusted.

ZA is actually pretty good -- I found a little porn package on a
customer's home PC when it tried to phone home and we said words
to the effect of "where did that come from?"

Why silly, it came from an unprotected DSL connection!

Annlee