Actually, Apple used that block as well for local networking.

quote:
If the host has a Microsoft Windows OS (9x or 2000/XP) or an
Apple OS, it will fall back to what is called the "auto-configure
address", which is an address from the 169.254/16 address space
(this was in accordance with the
draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt, which expired in October,
1999). The host will check on the network segment for a conflict
with another host using the same address, up to 10 addresses. The
client will then check in the background for a DHCP server every
5 minutes, abandoning the auto-configured address as soon as it
can obtain one from the server. I have no information at this
time on the behavior of various Linux clients.
end quote

from my DNS-DHCP tutorial

Annlee