From: dj [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 8:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can 802.1q & isl co-exist on same network?? [7:73511]

Have a production campus LAN network primarily running with 3508Gs and
3524XL data switches with gigabit fiber uplinks.  All switches are
currently running ISL Vlan trunking between the uplink ports.  There's
also a 2620 router running ISL fastethernet subinterfaces configured
with encapsulation ISL.

I have some non-cisco network devices that only support 802.1q vlan
trunking.  I already know the 802.1q trunking on non-cisco equipment
works ok with cisco devices running 802.1q trunking.

However, when I deploy the non-cisco equipment in the production campus
LAN, can I have some trunk ports running 802.1q trunking and other trunk
ports running ISL.  Bottom line:  Can ISL and 802.1q co-exist or do I
have to migrate entire LAN to 802.1q vlan trunking??

regards,
dj
http://shop.groupstudy.com