Firesox wrote:

> Well, the thing is the MAC addrss appears to be moving around
> thruout the
> network.
> One time I see the mac stored in one switch, then onto another
> switch the
> next.
> Another time, the MAC address disappears from the network all
> together.
> Whatever this mac is, it's causing the duplicate IP on the
> network and
> bringing the applications down.

Does this IP address belong to one of the servers? Is that why it brings
down the applications??

Is there some sort of routing/addressing problem caused by a misconfigured
attempt at load balancing so that sometimes the servers see each other
directly and sometimes the packets flow through a router (picking up the
router's MAC address?)

What is this MAC address? Perhaps the vendor code will help you understand
what's happening, as others mentioned. If it's a router manufacturer, that
could mean something like what I described.

I suspect there's more to this story and that some advanced, convoluted
features related to load balancing, clustering, redundancy, VLANs, etc. have
done what advanced, convoluted features tend to do: get mucked up. :-)
Please tell us more if you can. Thanks.

Priscilla Oppenheimer