It sounds like the Netgear Layer 2 802.3 flow control is buggy. It sounds
like you can't turn it off, though, because it's not a managed switch.
Should have bought Cisco!? :-)

You can turn it off on the workstations, though, and I would somewhat
hesitantly recomment that. You might risk other problems by disabling it.
Flow control should be negotiated with autonegotiation, but we know how well
that works for duplex mode. Nontheless, if it were me, I think I would turn
it off on the workstations carefully, as a test to start with.

I'd be interested in other people's opinions, but I think flow control at
the data-link-layer is risky and unnecessary anyway.

No offence to Netgear (really!) but I'm not sure I would trust them to do it
right, especially on a low-end switch. So, let's say a switch port has been
flow controlled and told not to send any packets for a while. What does it
do with the packets? How much buffering can it support? Does it have
features to avoid head-of-the-line blocking? Will the flow control on that
interface cause problems for other interfaces?

TCP already does end-to-end flow control. Of course, not every application
uses TCP, but a lot do. I think that's a better way to handle it.

And one final comment, if you really need to be flow controlling traffic,
perhaps you should just upgrade the bandwidth? Ethernet flow control sounds
like a bandaid over a design problem to me....

What do others think? Do you use 802.3x flow control? Thanks.

Priscilla