If you really want the CCIE for its own sake, you'll learn a lot of
underlying technology--that's bloody useful--but you won't learn the
Cisco-specific stuff for the CCIE (R&S or WAN). Cisco's exams are quite
focused on how Cisco does things.

If you want the knowledge, if you want to play with the high horsepower toys
on the backbone (and I see voice and data merging already, with ATM an
excellent carrier for lots of reasons, starting with QoS), then go with the
job offer. You will learn the material from another perspective, which will
truly help if/when you come back to Cisco certifications.

My $.02.

Annlee Hines
CCNA, CCDA, etc
Systems Engineer