Hi there,

If I wanted to be a CCIE, I would go for Security track or maybe the voice
track, but I think the latter is too specialized. Security is something you
need to know anyway, if you want to be a good and respected network
professional. Companies will understand that you know the most important
concepts of routing and switching when you pass your exam. I believe 50% of
the CCIE security exam is still R&S related, isn't it?

Personnally I wouldn't go for a CCIE exam (yet). I'm working as a
self-employed consultant, I've got my CCNP and CCDP and in my opinion
studying for CCIE takes too much effort for something, which doesn't bring
me much additional value. If you look to the network market (here in
Europe), companies don't necessarily need CCIEs, they prefer people with a
much broader view. Maybe I would like to be a CCIE, but I don't want to go
that "Long-and-windy-road" now.

If you look to the market for the coming 2-3 years, you need to have (most
of) folllowing skills, besides basic (CCNP/CCDP) R&S:
- security, at least PIX or Checkpoint; basics of intrusion detection
systems;
- wireless,
- VoIP,
- SANs,
- MPLS,
- QoS,
- Unix/Linux and Microsoft networking and server skills;
- Know the basics of  (how to configure) DNS, Radius, LDAP, Web servers,
etc.;
- Load balancers and other content related stuff.

This list is far from exhaustive, but hey, you can't know everything. It
also depends in which market you want to work. The SME market for example,
loves people who have both networking and operating systems skills. Big
companies, carriers or ISPs like it when you as a network professional can
speak with and understand the server/system administrators or the service
designers.

If you want to go for the money, you should specialize in one or two topics,
for example choose a hype like SAN, learn the systems of one or two vendors
and there you go...

I'm concentrating now on security. Next thing will be VoIP/QoS or more
Linux/Microsoft networking and server skills.

By the way, reading books or documentation from other network vendors like
Juniper or Nortel, is also recommended. Then you will see that it is 'all
the same' ... at least you could tell that to the HR people or managers...

My two cents,

Eric Brouwers