I'm sure this HAS to be somewhere on Cisco's web site, but a brief general
explanation is this:  Cisco, and most other vendor's hardware now-adays, has
ASIC chips that inspect ingress traffic coming into the switch.  It also has
a shared memory buffer that it stores cached route-switch information.  This
information generally contains all of the information necessary, in the
proper format, that the ASIC needs to re-write the packet on the outbound
interface (which is usually part of the cached information).  If a new flow
is being established, there obviously won't be any information in the cache
on how to re-write that packet in hardware (ASIC).  So, the "switch" has to
send the packet to the "routing engine" to have it layer-3 routed.  The
router makes the usual routing decisions, and stores the information
necessary for the ASIC to handle future packets between this
source-destination pair in the shared memory cache.  Any future packets are
handled "in hardware" by the ASIC, and don't need to go back to the route
engine.

The specific architecture obviously depends on what specific hardware you
are talking about.

Fred Reimer - CCNA

Eclipsys Corporation, 200 Ashford Center North, Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: 404-847-5177  Cell: 770-490-3071  Pager: 888-260-2050

NOTICE; This email contains confidential or proprietary information which
may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected the email, please
notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named
recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer.