I am studying for CCIE Written and lately have been concentrating on
redistribution.

I have come across two statements in Doyle's V.1 that I am a bit confused
about. On page 698 under the Metric section, he states that a cost must be
assigned to each EIGRP route **BEFORE** passing it into OSPF and vice versa.
What confuses me is that on page 712 under Configuring Redistribution it
states under #1 that the redistribution configuration command and
information is placed on the protocol that is to **RECEIVE** the distibuted
routes, which I assume will be applied **AFTER** the route has been
received. This seems to contradict to me.

Could anyone shed some light on this? It would help my understanding...

Thanks.