From: Reimer, Fred [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 11:58 AM
To: Lupi, Guy; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: vlan urgent [7:74955]

Theoretically, you don't even need a switch in the middle.  If these are
ISP-connected routers, and the firewall is doing the NAT, then the three
routers must be doing BGP to the ISPs by definition.  They would each have
full routing tables.  On the "inside" (external to PIX) segment, the three
routers can run HSRP and the PIX can point to that one address.  Between the
three routers you can redistribute the routes so that all three routers have
equal cost routes to all the Internet routes.  It may take some fancy work,
but it should be doable.  So if Router 1 was the HSRP active on
FastEthernet0/0, it would send a third of the traffic over its Serial0/0
interface, a third over the "backend" network between the routers on
FastEthernet0/1 to router 2, and a third on the backend network on
FastEthernet0/1 to router 3.  If router 2 or 3 lost their connection, they
would dynamically update router 1.  If router 1 went down, then router 2 or
3 would take over as the HSRP active on FastEthernet0/0.

Fred Reimer - CCNA

Eclipsys Corporation, 200 Ashford Center North, Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: 404-847-5177  Cell: 770-490-3071  Pager: 888-260-2050

NOTICE; This email contains confidential or proprietary information which
may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected the email, please
notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named
recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer.