Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Maybe a dumb question, but I know you guys can help me. :-)
>
> How would I know if a router is using excessive CPU on IP access lists?
>
> What am I looking for when I do a show processes cpu?

You can't determine the portion due to ACL processing from any single
display.  You'd have to compare the result of "show proc cpu" with
the ACL enabled and with it not enabled, for the essentially identical
traffic stream.  Within the display, note the percentage of time spent
in interrupt mode, as indicated by the number after the "/" in the
five second average.  Interrupt stack time is almost totally due to
switching packets and associated inspection of them such as ACLs.

- Marty