Dear,

I believe that whenever u ping to any device , it's mac to ip address
mapping gets added to ur arp cache table. If there is any router/switch or
any other device comes in between it will return the response with that
device's mac address rather than actual device. In ur case that might be
happenning. Try giving # traceroute or # tracert command & verify the route
that it takes to reach to that device.

Hitesh