Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 10:04 AM
Subject: RE: PIX and WIN NT Proxy Server.

>We are trying to deploy the PIX 520 with Windows NT Proxy
>servers for authentication and Caching. Could anyone who
>has done this point me to the Pros and Cons of this. Any
>Web site or white paper would be extremely helpfull.

From what I have implemented (and seen), this has been a
fairly common setup. By implementing MS Proxy as a cache
server (be sure to use a single NIC and NO rules), you
will be able to cache all the common (static) pages that
all your users visit; this will improve response times and
potentially increase your available bandwidth. MS Proxy
does operate as a pretty good cache.

Of course, there are a couple of added benefits too -
If you require all users to be authenticated via the
proxy server (say were using SOCKS), you can configure the
PIX so that it will only allow outbound traffic from a
specific IP address, thereby conserving your connection count
(you essentially allow only one address to access the internet).
Using a cache server makes certain administrative tasks easier
as well, especially if you have to block access to various
sites (either directly or via WebSence).

There are a couple of things to keep in mind. Depending on
how everything is configured, you may need to install and
configure a DNS caching server. If you are using PrivateI,
some of your reports may break - since a cache is installed,
there will only be one originating address.

If you need any white papers, you might want to go out and
search CCO (sorry, I don't have any of that information
bookmaarked).

As to other Pros and Cons, all I can say is that it depends
on what you *really* want to do. Sorry.

HTH.

Michael Dingeldey    CCDA, CCNP
Senior Network Engineer