Hey Group,
A Cisco 2500 series router boots in bootrom mode, has serial link connectivity, but no
images found in flash.  Flash is presently in RO mode. We attempt to bring the IOS
onto the box, but fail.  We believe the flash is fubarred. Any attempts to tftp fail
w/ "not programmable" We believe that this is due to the RO limitaion of the present
flash memory.  There is the limitation of the 2500 series where the image is run from
flash, not NVRAM. Is our presumption correct about the corrupt Flash module?

Excerpt from techs worklog:

I had the site console into the router and remove the aaa new-model settings. I was
then able to telnet into the router via the s0 interface.  The router was in boot
mode.  I checked the flash and there wasn't an image there.  I tried to  TFTP a new
image over but I got and error message (ERR: Device in READ-ONLY state) so I believe
that the flash was damaged by the lightning hit.  I inserted a "boot system tftp"
command into the config so the router could use the IOS image from site.  I reloaded
the router.  I can't telnet to it anymore, but I can ping the serial.  on site the
TFTP-server process is using 2.34% of the cpu, so it appears to be sending the image
over.

Anybody have any ideas?