I'm not sure I ever answered this. Sorry. Below

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
whatshakin
Sent:   Sunday, August 06, 2000 8:51 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Follies Answers

Good job Chuck.  This is exactly what we all need to keep things fresh.

Tell me, what functionality does one need to implement that kind of
lock-down control of a Cisco router? Are you using some kind of RADUIS or
TACACS+ software or the built in features of the 12.X IOS ?

CL: for this particular case, I used only the privilege exec functions of
the IOS. Telnet sessions were give a privilege level of 0

Line vty 0 4
Privilege level 0
Password whatever

Then within the router configuration itself I specifically defined which
commands I would permit someone with level 0 privileges to see.  Any command
not defined by privilege exec level will not be permitted.

Privilege exec level X WORD ( command )

E.g.  privilege exec level 0 show frame-relay lmi will permit the level 0
user to use the show frame-relay lmi command, but not the show frame-relay
pvc command.

In general, the privilege level of a user in the privilege exec mode
 enable mode ) is 15, and the privilege level of the user mode is 1. One can
set up privilege levels based on user login name. And yes, these can be
augmented by TACACS or RADIUS.

This is one way in which a NOC, for example, can allow technicians to do
some things on a router but not others. I also recall reading someplace that
one can even configure privilege exec in such a manner that users with a
certain privilege level can enter the configuration mode and be permitted to
configure some things but not others. For example, ethernet interfaces, but
not serial interfaces or other functions.  I have not had a chance to try
this yet

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/112cg_cr/2cb
ook/2cauthen.htm
watch the wrap