Debits by the door, credits by the window ....Oops - career path from long
ago....

Router to hub or switch = straight through

Hub to switch = crossover

Think DTE DCE

Hhhmmmmm....... PC to PC = crossover  does DTE-DCE apply? Anyone ever do the
old pin 2-3 reverse with a DB25, long before there was Laplink for PC's?
What was that old PC application we used for remote control? I had a quant
analyst used to drive me nuts who would read about stuff like this in
magazines and demand it for herself. Wonder whatever became of her? I made a
150 foot serial cable, strung it under the raised floor of the trading room
to a small office where this woman would go to do her thinking.

This was long before it occurred to me that you really don't need all 25
wires in a DB25-DB25 connection.

Chuck

PS puzzled by the statement that sometimes you use a crossover in a router
to switch connection.  Unless maybe it so happens that the switch port you
plug into has one of those X options and someone pushed the button by
mistake and no one noticed, or knew what the X port did and why.