First off:  Long time listener, first time caller :o)  Thanks for all the
thought provoking discussions!

A little bit of background.  I have been in the computer industry, in
various capacities, for 10 years.  Specifically I have been in IT Management
for the last 4 of those 10 years.  The first 6 spent doing everything from
hardware support, desktop and server support, network support, consulting,
and programming.  I have a wide range of experience, however I am currently
looking to specialize in the internetworking side of things.  I am getting
ready to take my CCNA 2.0 and then go on and pursue the CCNP.  I have fairly
limited hands on experience in routing and switching in the past (mainly
small shops), and currently in IT Management I do not get as much as I would
like.

My question for the list:  Should I go ahead and start looking to get out of
IT Management and into a more hands on routing/switching job as I pursue
higher Cisco certifications?  Given my limited hands on experience in
hardcore routing/switching, can I expect a fairly significant pay decrease
when switching specializations?  I guess part of me thinks that it would be
beneficial to go ahead and get into the field I want to end up in - the more
experience the better.  The other part thinks that sticking with the good
money now will make it easier to fund my home Cisco lab :o)

Thanks guys,
Ed Williams

--
Edward S. Williams
IT Manager

"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth?  Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad."  -- Dave Barry