How much RAM do you have on these units? Rather than trying to re-install Solaris, try the following;

- Insert Solaris installation CD in the CD drive.
- Turn on the machine
- it will try to start to solaris installation, but you can abort that by hitting ctrl+c.
- You should now be at the # prompt logged in as root.  This means you can change the root password, and then look around what's on it, etc.
- My suspicion is that you may be trying to install the entire distribution rather than End User or Developer distribution.  First try installing bare minimum, but allocate a lot of swap like 2.5 to 3 times the size of your RAM.

Good luck.

Jon McCoy wrote:

I was given some old RDI PowerLite laptops to use -- unknown accounts/passwords.  I tried to reinstall 2.5.1 desktop from a scsi cdrom drive, but during the install it panics, due to 'panic: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root' error.

Anyone more clueful want to lend some guesses?  Each laptop performs exactly the same way, so I don't think it's a specific hardware fault.

ObCisco:  http://joe.lindsay.net/bgp.html for tasty BGP bits.

-jon-

You need two things to make it work:
WD-40 to make it go