David,
This was exactly the problem.
I thought I had removed all of the transport
commands during testing, but apparently not.
The command "transport preferred none" was in the
vty config.
Apparently this command is just for this purpose,
of preventing a telnet session from being
launched by a host name.
Was this done for security reasons? I'm wondering
why the command is needed, so to speak.
I discovered the problem by logging directly into
the console port on the 2511. The console port
didn't have the "transport preferred  none"
command entered in it's config, so I could
reverse telnet with just the hostname.
Can someone enlighten me as to why the "transport
preferred none" command is needed?
Thanks, David, for your informative post.
Eric

=====