The router should be able to handle the encapsultion protocol (802.1q or
ISL). Based on the answers I got from this board, the cheapest router that
is capable of doing that is a 2621. You only need one interface as you will
configure multiple subinterface on it and connect it to the trunk of your
switch.

Layer 3 switches are pretty expensive...