From: Atif Awan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 11:28 PM
To: Dale Holmes; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: accesslists outbounds?

they say that outbound access lists are less processor intensive because the
router has only to process those packets destined for the destination you
are trying to affect. When you apply it inbound then the router has to match
each packet coming into that interface even though that packet might not be
relevant to the access list. The scenario presented is just a simple one and
in this case it does not matter where you place the access list but think of
two more serial interfaces in addition to S3. if you apply the access list
inbound then packets destined for S4 and S5 will also have to be processed
through the list even though they have nothing to do with the S3 interface.

So the conclusion is that "Outbound access lists are IN GENERAL less
processor intensive than in bound access lists" ... remember IN GENERAL ...
there can be exceptions

Regards
Atif