From: Croyle, James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 4:21 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Shared port bandwidth on different VLANs????

I don't get stuck very often in a Cisco book, but this doesn't make sense.
Page 126 of Cisco LAN Switching states:

"Although each port of a Catalyst behaves like a port on a bridge, there is
an exception.  The Catalyst family has group switch modules where ports on
the module behave like a shared hub.  When devices atach to ports on this
module, they share bandwidth like a legacy network.  Use this module when
you have high density requirements, and where the devices have low bandwidth
requirements, yet need connectivity to a VLAN."

Does he mean different VLANs configured on this module share bandwidth?  If
he is saying the same VLAN shares, then that is no different than any other
switch.  Another note, this book is the most unclear of any (I have read
about 8) Cisco book I have come across yet.  Be that as it may, please
provide any insight, especially if you have the book and can refer to the
whole section/page.

TIA,

Jim Croyle