The problem was essentially a bug in the code of a particular vendor's ATM
carrier side equipment.  I understand that problem was resolved in a code
upgrade, once the issue was identified.

Essentially, it ended up being something like this:

Customer Side IMA               Carrier Side IMA
Port 1--        circuit 1 ------circuit 1----   port 1
Port 2--        circuit 2       -----circuit 2 ----     port 2
Port 3--        circuit 3       ---- circuit 3-----     port 3
Port 4--        circuit 4 ---- circuit 4-----   port 4
Etc                             etc

No it was not Cisco at the carrier side.

As long as there was a one to one correspondence between the circuit
terminated on each port on both the carrier and the customer side, there
were no problems. But if the carrier and customer side terminations did not
correspond, there were major problems with the channel dropping and loss of
all channels, not just the one. I am told it got even nastier if either the
customer side or the carrier side spanned over two IMA cards. E.g.:

Customer Side IMA               Carrier Side IMA
Port 1--        circuit 1 ---|---circuit 3----  port 1
Port 2--        circuit 2       ---|--circuit 1 ----    port 2
Port 3--        circuit 3       ---|- circuit 4-----    port 3
Port 4--        circuit 4 ---|- circuit 2-----  port 4
Etc                             etc

Was a major problem.

When investigating this, I spoke to someone in one of the carriers' testing
lab, and got this story. It apparently was just one of those things. And as
I said, the problem for the particular carrier side ATM equipment was
supposed to be resolved  with a code upgrade / patch

So I was wondering what your experience was.  Anyone else experienced this?

Chuck