Jim, this is a GREAT question.

I have asked this before of this group, these people tend to be hard core
hit the books and study independently. Most responses I received were that
they wouldn't put their money into the high cost of classes. Unfortunately,
I am not as able as these people and learn far better in a classroom with
hands on labs were I can get the immediate answers to my questions. Some
people can learn quite well with independent study. Not me.

Then comes the dilemma, paying for the high priced classes, (high priced
relative to my budget). But this is a side line to your question.

There are a number of programs with schools that have been in existence for
a while and some new kids on the block. There are no guarantees that you can
learn, there are guarantees that if you fail under the school's requirements
that you can retake the class with in their constraints. Guarantees are good
but they are designed so only a few people may be able to use them, read the
details.

Next, there are a large number of schools teaching Cisco, (unauthorized
schools, Cisco Training Partners, and Cisco Academies). Then there are
several forms of presentation, (Classroom, E-Learning, & Computer Based
Training), some schools only offer one form of training some offer several
forms of training. Try this page on Cisco's web for more training
information, http://cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/.

As you might be starting to see, you need to do some study before you select
your training. Every school I have contacted has indicated they have the
best training program in the industry, they all claim an astronomical exam
pass rate, all claim amazing salary increases by taking there training
program. Remember these are sales people you are talking to, enough said.

I would recommend, if you don't have a lot of time, start your research with
the schools that are Cisco Training Partners with a Cisco approved
curriculum, this will narrow your search. Make a list of what is important
to you, some examples are: (24 hour access, face to face with instructors,
financing, real Cisco equipment vs. simulated , trainer certifications,
trainer experience, and what ever else is important.)

I have taken a classroom course through CCTI and was very satisfied, I have
visited the KnowledgeNet campus and was impressed. The other schools I am
only familiar with through advertisements, salespeople, and their websites,
I expect this information from these resources to be a little twisted by the
Marketing departments.

Next, I have looked everywhere I could think of on the Internet for unbiased
comparisms of the different schools, they don't exist. Perhaps that would be
the next step for GroupStudy. Maybe a new news feed called "Training
Resources Compared". People could pass along their individual experiences
with different schools. Maybe someone could put together a chart comparing
the offerings of each school. Someone else could put together a ratings of
the schools based on poling Group Study members.

That's my 2 cents.
Dave Kemper, MCSE, CCNA
Senior Network Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]