>syn, syn-ack and ack
>
>anytime i see tcp i think of a one-to-one communication that must adhere to
>the 3-way handshake.

Right.  There are several good reasons to use broadcast/multicast (as
distinct from simply being connectionless):

1.  You don't know the address of the destination (e.g., DHCP request)
2.  The nature of the application is one-to-many and doesn't need
     reliable transmission (e.g., television broadcasting)
3.  The transmitter can resend information "in the blind" a sufficient
     number of times that there is an acceptable statistical likelihood
     that the receiver will receive a copy (e.g., weather map broadcasts)

There certainly are applications where reliable multicast services
would be very useful, but general purpose reliable multicast remains
a research problem.  Reliable multicast protocols do exist for
certain applications, and it's not surprising that the details of its
reliable multicast are the "family jewels" of EIGRP and have not been
made public.