On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Cai, Land -CN-IT wrote:

> Hello, Dear friends,
>
> I am studying BGP. Says on book, when the routing policy that will be
> implemented in the autonomous system is consistent with policy implemented
> in the ISP autonomous system, the BGP can be replaced by a combination of
> static routes and default networks, while any time your policy requirements
> differ from the policy of your ISP, BGP is required. I really don¡¯t know
> under which situation we can say have the same routing policy with ISP. Can
> you give me a specific example?

If you are single homed........and have only 1 isp.  You send all the
traffic not destined for your network to the isp, and they send all the
traffic destined for your network assigned to you.....to you.  In this
case everyone is clear and simple..........so you default route to the
isp, and they static route a netblock to you........no bgp is needed.

Pretty much in most cases of being single homed, you will not use
BGP.  Sometimes people that are single homed will however run BGP.  What
does this allow you to do?  Well you can choose to announce or not
announce netblocks, for whatever reason you would want to do something
like that.

brian